Makes 8 Chinese Coconut Roll Buns
1 cup warm milk 40°C
1 tsp active yeast
1 tsp sugar
2 cups bread flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp golden syrup
+ 1 tbsp water
3/4 cup Desiccated Coconut
1/2 cup Icing Sugar
35g Soften Butter
2 Fresh Eggs
In a bowl, combine all filing ingredients and mix until combined.
1) Add 1 cup warm milk + 1 tsp yeast + 1 tsp sugar mix thoroughly together. Just cover it with the lid until bubbles arise.
2) In a large bowl, add 2 cups bread flour, 2 tbsp sugar, and soften butter, then add the (A) yeast mixture to the flour and mix well until combined. kneed till it forms a rough ball and a medium level of gluten has developed.
3) Cover the dough with the lid and allow to cold rise in the lower part of a fridge overnight.
4) Take the dough from the fridge, Cover the dough with a wet and hot tea towel. It will help to balance the rising temperatures. Rest for an hour.
5) Use your finger test for dough, it will helps you to know exactly when bread has risen enough.
6) Transfer the soft and sticky dough on a clean, floured work surface, then kneading well and beat the dough by hand until it is smooth, soft and elastic. You can also check the gluten development with the windowpane Test: pull off a chunk of dough and stretch it with your hands. if it break, repeat step. It should stretch to form a very thin translucent sheet, without tearing.
7) Sprinkle some flour on the board surface so the dough won't be sticky. Add the coconut filling and roll up dough and pinch edge together to seal. Cut into slices as desired. Cover with plastic wrap and rise again in a warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled in size
8) Preheat the oven to 150°C, Bake for 35 minutes.
Baking time depends on the size and shape of the bread being baked.
Recipe Source: JosephineRecipes.Co.Uk
Tried this recipe?